Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day of New Beginnings

School has been out for only a few weeks and the search for Matt's future has begun. I was hopeful for a return to school for a additional year to aid with a so to speak transitional period, from student to preparing for the workforce if possible. No reply as of yet as to the school's plans if any. Many attempts and contacts have been made and still waiting to hear a reply. Have received verbal reassurance from director of special education that she has Matt in mind for something possibly for the upcoming school year. Strangely enough assurance comes from someone who when contacted in the office is ether busy or will "get back to me", but never does. Verbal reassurance that Matt hasn't been forgotten comes only when my husband and myself have "ran" into her in local restuarants or the grocery store.
After feeling ignored and attempting to deal with people who obviously do not take their job seriously I have taken another route. Through many phone calls I have connected w/another mother w/an autistic son. Our conversations and contact have led to another contact who works with young adults one on one to evaluate them and attempt to place them in some type of employment role if they are capable. Matt and myself have an in home meeting tomorrow to meet and talk over some possibilities for him with her. It is very exciting but at the same time Matt and I are entering the unknown again, as we have many times before in the past with his disabilities. I am very hopeful but at the same time very "torn". Should I wait on the school system to "come up" with something for him and allow him to return to familiar surroundings or venture out into the unknown? I have prayed and asked many people close to me their opinions. When Matt is asked what he wants to do now that he has graduated his reply is, "college". This reply brings a smile and a tear to my face. Smile because he sees himself no different than others he graduated with, a tear because I know that he will never be able to attend college. I am sure he has heard other kids his age that he graduated with talk about going to college but he has no concept of what it actually is.
Tomorrow will be a day of new beginnings for us if we decide to take this path in our journey. Our meeting may be just the opportunity Matt needs but at the same time it will take him out of his usual routine for awhile. I don't want to upset him or make the wrong decision. Pray for us that our search for continued learning for him will be guided in the right direction and will benefit Matt to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment