Sunday, June 7, 2009

Beautiful weekend!!!!!
Saturday went to an autistic support group. First one in my area and the first one that I have ever gone to. Find it somewhat amusing that after 19 years of raising Matt and wishing for others like me I have finally found a place to belong. It was so amazing to meet other parents that are going through what I have. Most of the parents present have children that are preschool or elementary age. They are experiencing milestones and challenges that Matt and I have made it through somehow. They are asking some of the same questions that I asked so many years ago. I am so glad that this group was started and that these parents have somewhere to turn.
I felt out of place at first because Matt is so much older than the other children and we have already come through so many challenges that the other children have yet to experience. I was beginning to wonder if once again I had nowhere to turn. After the meeting started, I found that we all were asking the same questions. "What causes autism?"(the million dollar question), "Does anything aide with the progression of autism?"(vitamins, diets, etc), and "How can I do what is best for my child?" Even though Matt is older, I still ask myself these questions just like the parents of the younger children. Many of the parents even thought that Matt and I could be of assistance to them and with many of their problems. Imagine that, us helping others with what we have been though. I never thought that we could help ourselves at times let alone help anyone else. After talking to many of the parents I felt that they and this group was just what Matt and I needed.
Some parents brought their children, and again I was fascinated by their actions, reactions, and behaviors. They were doing things that Matt did! I had never seen other children before that reminded of my own. All of the children and parents will have difficulties to face in the future, but I know that they can overcome with the help of each other and this wonderful support group. I so look forward to our next meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment