Friday, September 4, 2009

I have come across some very disturbing literature today and feel as though I must share it.
While looking up articles to post on my twitter page I came across one related to treatment of autism, and like most I assumed that it was related to diet or probiotics or the usual treatments that have already made their way to many families. However this was not the case. After reading this I was very troubled and found it hard to believe what extremes families would go to in order to "cure" autism.
The article was about the drug Lupron and the belief that this drug can rid persons with autism of their symptoms. I also came across a physician that has been trying the treatment on patients in his clinic. For those of you who are not familiar with Lupron, let me give you a little background on the medication.
Lupron is a gonadrotropin releasing hormone analog, which modifies the release of pituitary FSH and LH hormones. Now in english this means.... FSH(follicle stimulating hormone) and LH(lutenizing hormone) are related to puberty by causing the females eggs to be released and secondary sex characteristics(facial/body hair, etc) to become present. A 2005 study suggested that Lupron can be used as tx for autism due to the belief that mercury causes autism and that mercury binds to testoserone. By giving Lupron testosterone levels can be lowered thus improving symptoms of the disorder. This has not been proven!!!! Let me repeat.... THIS HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN!!!!! Lupron has been suggested as a treatment to reduce sexual urges of pedophiles!!!
I would much rather try the drug out on the pedophiles than children with autism.
I know that their are many parents/families that will do or try anything to help their children but please be advised that their are many claims out there that can "cure". Always, always look into something and do not take a physicians word or anyone else's when it comes to your child's health.
So many people want to "fix" what is wrong and never stop to think of the impact it can have. That is one of the reason's I promote parents to love and build on the abilities of their autistic children rather than to "cure" them.
I know that many families believe differently than myself and that is their right but I do urge them to not jump into the fire without seeing how hot it is.

1 comment:

  1. How very scary!
    Thanks for sharing this info!
    I know you are a GREAT mom, Janet! :)

    ReplyDelete