Thursday, August 6, 2009

God at Work

What a day!!! Received a call yesterday regarding Matt returning to school for a "transitions" classes. Spoke with our wonderful vocational rehab counselor and Matt met with our pastor regarding baptism.(upcoming blog on baptism)
Matt will be returning to school and receiving vocational services. Yay!!!!! However, this should have been done two years ago. I am saddened to report that somewhere the ball was dropped. I have been inquiring about services for him for sometime now and the school did not offer any services or ideas. I was introduced to the vocational rehab counselor after many inquires and much time spent on the internet and with a touch of God's hand. Over the summer I have been in touch with her often and have discovered that my school has not ever mentioned her services to me or any other parents of "special" children. It is very saddening and frustrating to hear this when as a concerned parent I have offered my time and always made it known to the school that if there was anything that I could do to help Matt and them that I was available. Only to find out that I was never contacted about services that the school had. I feel so guilty myself for not doing more..... Matt always received the services that were available on school campus but was not offered or refered to any services off campus. I had asked and was told that they were not provided(vocational rehab, transportation, etc)
In our small community I knew there were not many options so I became Matt's instructor on ADLs, basic skills and how to do tasks and certain jobs. God has blessed us in that what I did has helped Matt to develop and experience growth as an individual. Let me add that his SPED teachers were the best!!!!! and in no way to slight them at all. They too were not informed of the proper programs that were available. Over the last week, God has worked overtime in our lives. Through much prayer and the help of our voc rehab counselor, Matt will be receiving extra services that will help to transition him into society, and will aid him with job skills. My intent with this blog is not to point fingers or lay blame, but to hopefully alert parents, especially in small communities that there are services available and that with payer and diligent perserverance your child must be accomodated for. Every parent must review IEPs and ask questions, and do research on their own regarding services and the rights of the disabled. I use that term loosely, because each one of these unique children has a gift and special qualities that can be benefited by all and give something to the society in which they live.

No comments:

Post a Comment