Tuesday, July 28, 2009

I have been reading articles regarding "curing" autism and find some that are somewhat disturbing. When Matt was dx with autism I wished that he had not been stricken with this ailment and often wished that he was "normal". Over the years I have come to terms with our dx and appriciate all of his qualities and most of all his smile and wonderful outlook on things. I would never want to "cure" that. We treat other disorders and diseases but haven't found a cure for them. We treat diabetes, cancer, AIDS, and etc. and are yet to erradicate the world of them. EVERY autistic child has something great that he or she can teach the rest of us if we only take the time to learn from them instead of trying to "cure" them. God does not make mistakes, he makes us all the way we are suppose to be. Unfortunately some must be different or even suffer through struggles because of illness or disorders. My son is one of them... and I am very proud of him and the things that he has overcome and achieved w/o attempting to change him. Each day he teaches me how to have a different outlook on things and how to praise God for all that we are given in this life. So to Matthew.... THANK YOU, SON for all that you have given me. As for those that follow a strict regimen and have given up soo much for their children and are trying everything to correct the disabilties that their children have I do not in any way fault you. I may have done the same thing if the options that you have today were available to me many years ago. I cannot say so as a definite answer because that would only be speculation. As I have said before, Matt is the way he is for a reason and he touches many lives because of his different perspective of things. If I had attempted to change him or cure him then he would not be the same Matt that we all know and appreciate each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment