Friday, May 22, 2009

New at this blog thing. Just getting started. Decided to start one because there are so many autistic children out there and will unfortunately be more in the years to come according to projected statistics. In the area of the country where I live I have not been able to connect with many families that have an autistic child. Not sure why that is but hope to through this site.
A little about this site. It is named after my son, who was diagnosed when he was 5 years old. Only after numerous attempts to figure out what was wrong, so to speak. For many years after his diagnosis I wondered what had I done wrong during pregnancy, what do I do now, where do I turn, along with numerous other questions. In the early '90's autism was not heard of as much as it is today. I did not have may options for support. Matt's father and I divorced soon after Matt was 3. I found through the years that God and my son were my support. Matt's smile was beyond belief, and unlike some autistic children he was a very content child. Through many struggles and hardships Matt was learning and so was I. I completed nursing school twice..(LPN & RN) and Matt was right there with me. Over the years he and God have helped me to resolve feelings of guilt and inadequatecy as a parent. I have recently remarried to a wonderful man who is a tremendous help to and with Matt.
Today Matt is receiving his certificate (a little different from a diploma) for completeing high school. Graduation ceremonies are tonight. Over the last several months my husband and I, along with Matt have been trying to look into options for Matt after completion of school. Sadly enough in our area there are not many options or services available. Again Matt and I have an obstacle to overcome. Out of wondering what will Matt and other children/young adults do if they are not capable of entering the workforce or furthering their education through college I decided to start this site to let parents of autisic children know that they are not alone and to allow them to contact us and voice their concerns and stories. I hope that my vision and Matt's smile will give hope to something that can be helpful.
Please keep in mind that I am new to this whole adventure esp the blogging and blog page. Hope to add more to the site, as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment